Do you plan to have an asphalt driveway? If you do, you have to learn more about the things to know about paving with asphalt and residential driveway paving Victoria. It sure is a good sight to see your nice looking driveway but you still have to know more about asphalt paving before you go for it. This is important whether you plan to do it on your own or if you want to hire a contractor for this undertaking. It may not last forever but it surely can make a dramatic makeover for your home. Here are some things you need to know about pavements made with asphalt.
- Asphalt driveway may not last forever and certainly is not tough as it looks. There are various external factors that can hasten its lifespan but when done correctly, it may last longer. This is why professionals can deliver you with better and sturdier asphalt overlays. They can use special materials that they mix with asphalt to make it bind better and last longer. Asphaltic binder is one of the asphalt pavement mixture components that make the pavement harder and firmer.
- Heat and sunlight as well as cold climate and snow as among the tough adversaries of asphalt. It can accelerate the deterioration process and cause oxidation on the asphalt binder. You can ask your contractor for a thicker pavement to make its stay longer. This may cost a bit more expensive but will actually benefit you in the long run because you would not have to hire them sooner for repair works.
- It is best to have the pavement sealed. These asphalt sealers can also extend the lifespan of asphalt pavements. This is especially necessary if your pavement caters to heavy trucks and cars or pickups. Even if it is only once in a while, the weight of these vehicles can have adverse effect on your pavement.
- It is important that you fix cracks on your pavement as soon as you detect one. Do not wait for the cracks to become bigger before filling it. There are contractors that can accommodate this service. You can even do this on your own by purchasing asphalt pre-mix from hardware shops. See to it that you are capable of doing the job to avoid accidents. If all else fails, you can call your previous contactor to have them fix the problem. This is a safer and faster option.
- Keep your car and other’s away from your pavement at least 48-72 hours after the filling works. This will give enough time for your pavement to dry up and cure depending on the temperature and humidity in your area. You can use your newly repaired asphalt pavement after this period.